Wednesday, July 07, 2004




"I don't play accurately - any one can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."


Xylophone Man, Nottingham's most famous musician, has died at the age of 73. For those who have never lived in Nottingham, Xylophone Man- or Frank Robinson- has been a familiar fixture here for the past twenty years. You could see him most days in Lister Gate or by the Council House playing his xylophone (well, strictly speaking it was a glockenspiel) in his own unique way.

I used to be obsessed with Xylophone Man as a child. Whenever I'd go to town with my parents I'd always be looking out for him, and if he was there, I'd beg for some money to give to him. I remained fascinated by him as I got older and at the age of 15 I started to talk to him and teach him how to play a few tunes (which he never managed to learn).

To say Xylophone Man isn't a natural musician would be something of an understatement. After twenty years of playing his xylophone he still couldn't manage a recognizable tune, preferring instead to hit random notes to a random rhythm.

But to criticise him for his playing ability is to miss the point- he played with verve and passion, and derived much pleasure from what he did. He seemed to get so much joy and happiness from playing his xylophone, and that'd rub off on you when you walked past.

Most of us live our lives as office drones; mindlessly doing the same thing until retirement and deriving very little pleasure from what we do. Xylophone Man lived different; he found his niche and managed to find a way of life that gave him much happiness. In a bizarre way, I was always kinda envious of him.

Anyway, I've set up an online petition calling for Nottingham City Council to erect a statue, and for Nottingham Express Transit to name a tram in his honour.

I hope you all find time to sign the Xylophone Man Petition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home